Our popular Upstart Crows Saturdays program, for ages 12-18, is back and IN-PERSON this Fall!
This ten-week program features the BEST live theatre has to offer, including:
The Play: A full scale production of one of Shakespeare’s infrequently produced and deeply intriguing plays, Timon of Athens. We’ll be working with a ‘translated’ version from Play On! adapted by Kenneth Cavendar -- a rare and exciting opportunity to engage Shakespeare in a blended duality of contexts. Timon is an allegorical examination of society and humanity, self-interest and power, and the connections we build and break.
The Director: This session will be led by Ayelet Schrek, one of our most talented teaching artists! Ayelet has over two decades of experience with SF Shakes, first as a camper, then as an intern, then a teaching artist, and currently as a member of the Education Workgroup. They graduated summa cum laude, from Brandeis University.
The Process: Students (ages 12-18) will deepen their skills and knowledge through a comprehensive rehearsal process, using the framework of the play to explore language, history, voice, movement, analysis, and play.
The Location: We are thrilled to be again working with our long-time partner, First Unitarian Universalist Society of San Francisco, located at 1187 Franklin St, San Francisco, CA 94109. Ask us about any accessibility needs so that we can accommodate.
The Timing: Sept 11-Nov 13, Saturdays, 10 am-3 pm with an hour lunch break.
The Price: $840 for 10 sessions.
(Need-based assistance available.)
The Caveat: As with any live programming now, the unknown progression of the pandemic offers unique challenges.
Please take note of our COVID protocols:
- All participants must be vaccinated.
- All participants must do a daily health check to enter the site.
- Masks will be worn at all times indoors, including during performances.
- Participants should bring a packed lunch to eat outdoors, socially distanced.
- Teaching Artists will have regular Covid tests.
- We will continue to respond to the state of the pandemic as needed, always prioritizing the health and safety of our participants.
- If necessary, our teaching artists are skilled and experienced with teaching virtually, and we can return to the zoom classroom at any time.
Any questions? Send us an email!
Not able to participate in person? Just can’t get enough Shakespeare?
We also plan on continuing to offer virtual programming.
Fill out this survey so we can best shape our offerings to suit your needs.