Join the 2021 SF Shakes Intern Company!
Are you looking to launch your professional theatre career AND serve your community? SF Shakes is looking for motivated, professionally-oriented students and young people to join our summer intern company.
SF Shakes internships are open to anyone who is 16-25 years old and/or a current student. As of 2021, our interns will be paid to perform a variety of tasks in support of our summer programs. Interns will work an average of 20 hours/week and will be paid $16.50/hour.
Performance Interns: 2 interns
- Performance interns play supporting ensemble roles in the Free Shakespeare production of Pericles and understudy professional actors. The production will begin as a virtual, on-line production and possibly move outdoors in person as it becomes safe to do so.
- Performance interns should be available June-Sept 2021. Some conflicts may be permitted on a case-by-case basis, also depending on whether the production moves outdoors.
- IF the production moves outdoors, assist with set-up and tear-down before and after every performance, and assist with load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations. All interns may also be asked to participate in hospitality or publicity events. (All hours are paid.)
- Mentored by the directors of Free Shakes and Resident Artists of the company.
- NOTE: Video audition required for this position. Please submit a 1-minute Shakespeare monologue.
Performance Internship Application
Production and Stage Management Interns: 2 interns
- Assist the Production Manager, Equity Production Stage Manager, and Deck Manager during rehearsals and backstage during virtual and in-person performances.
- Responsibilities include taking blocking notes, being on book during rehearsals, standing in for missing actors, setting props, set-up and tear-down before and after every in-person performance or film shoot, assisting with cues and backstage business, and assisting with load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations. All interns may also be asked to participate in hospitality or publicity events. (All hours are paid.)
- Mentored by Production Manager Pratiksha Shah, Equity Production Stage Manager Karen Schleifer and non-Equity Deck Manager.
- Production and Stage Management interns should be available June-Sept 2021. Some conflicts may be permitted on a case-by-case basis, also depending on whether the production moves outdoors.
Production and Stage Management Internship Application
Technical Intern: 1 intern
- Responsibilities include assisting the Technical Director with technical aspects of the production (both virtual and in-person), set-up and tear-down before and after every in-person performance or film shoot, and load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations.
- Mentored by Technical Director Neal Ormond, as well as designers.
- Must be available for training in June, rehearsals and performances, June-Sept 2021. Some exceptions can be made – please let us know your conflicts.
Technical Internship Application
Literary Intern: 1 intern
- Assist Free Shakespeare director(s) and dramaturge with research and program notes.
- Assist cast in rehearsal with text notes, research, time period details, etc. Provide program content.
- Assist with social media promotion of the production, including blog posts, Twitter and Facebook posts, etc.
- Mentored by Artistic Director Rebecca J. Ennals and Communications Specialist Edmund Campos.
- Must be available in May for pre-production discussions and research and for all rehearsals June-July. Possible extension to work in engagement and hospitality.
Literary Internship Application