2017 Internship Application
Join the SF Shakes Intern Company!
Are you a high school or college student ages 15-22, looking to launch your professional theatre career AND serve your community? SF Shakes is looking for motivated, professionally-oriented young people to join our summer intern company.
Performance & Hospitality Interns: 2-3 full-time mainstage interns
- Performance interns may play non-speaking roles in the Free Shakespeare in the Park production of Hamlet
, understudy professional actors, and perform in the Green Show, our special 15-minute educational show before each performance
- Assist with set-up and tear-down before and after every performance, and assist with load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations
- Perform Front of House duties such as setting up the hospitality tables, passing out programs, assisting patrons with seating, serving concessions, collecting audience surveys
- Mentored by Artistic Director Rebecca J. Ennals, Director Stephen Muterspaugh, Green Show director, and Front of House staff
- NOTE: Audition required for this position.
UPDATE AS OF APRIL 17: We are still seeking performance interns for Sept-Oct 2017 only (must be local). Deadline extended to April 30.
Stage Management Interns: 3-4 interns
- Assist the Equity Stage Manager and ASM during rehearsals and backstage during performances
- Responsibilities include taking blocking notes, being on book during rehearsals, standing in for missing actors, setting props, set-up and tear-down before and after every performance, assisting with cues and backstage business, and assisting with load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations.
- Mentored by the Equity Stage Manager and non-Equity ASM
- Must be available for at least half of all rehearsals and performances (shared position)
UPDATE AS OF APRIL 11: Applications for Stage Management interns are now closed.
Production Interns: 6-10 interns
- Assist in the areas of Scenic, Props, Wardrobe, Sound, and Lighting
- Responsibilities include assisting the Technical Director, Props Master, Wardrobe Supervisor, Master Electrician, and Sound Operator as well as Costume, Lighting, and Sound Designers with tech rehearsals, set-up and tear-down before and after every performance, and load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations.
- Mentored by the designers and supervisors listed above
- Must be available for training and shop work in June, tech rehearsals and at least half of all performances. Some exceptions can be made – please let us know your conflicts.
UPDATE AS OF MARCH 31: We are still seeking production interns. Please apply by APRIL 30, 2017.
Education Interns: 10+ interns
- Assist at Bay Area Shakespeare Camps for 2-week sessions, June 6-August 19. Camps take place all over the Bay Area.
- Teaching experience not necessary but preferred.
- Mentored by members of the Resident Artist Company and Education staff.
- Must be available to be onsite for at least one full 2-week camp session, training weekend June 3rd-5th.
- Opportunities for promotions to paid Teaching Artists may be available for experienced, college-aged interns.
UPDATE AS OF APRIL 17: Applications for Education interns are now closed.
Literary Intern: 1 intern
- Assist Free Shakespeare in the Park director and dramaturge with research and program notes. Create dramaturgical research file for cast.
- Assist cast in rehearsal with text notes, research, time period details, etc.
- Assist with social media promotion of the production, including blog posts, Twitter and Facebook posts, etc.
- Mentored by Communications Manager Kristin Hall, Free Shakes director Steve Muterspaugh, and Dramaturge Julian Lopez-Morillas.
- Must be available in May for pre-production discussions and research.
UPDATE AS OF APRIL 11: This position is now filled.
Education Program Administration Intern: 1-2 intern(s)
- Assist Education Director Carl Holvick at the San Francisco offices from May-August.
- Requires strong interest in supporting youth theatre education. Must be familiar with Shakespeare’s works.
- Mentored by members of the Education staff, Resident Artist Company and especially the Education Director.
- Must be available for at least six weeks from May-August and the training weekend June 3rd-5th.
UPDATE AS OF APRIL 11: This position is now filled.
Front of House Interns (non-performers): 6-8 interns
- Audience interaction and engagement, including survey administration, customer service (setting up chairs, handing out programs, etc), and concessions
- Set up and tear down of concessions area, assist in load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations.
- Must be available for at least 6 weekends of performances.
- Mentored by House Manager and other SF Shakes staff.
UPDATE AS OF MARCH 31: We are still seeking Front of House interns. Please apply by APRIL 30, 2017.
Interns are required to attend at least half of scheduled weekly Wednesday night workshops from June to August. All internships are unpaid at this time – please let us know if you have severe financial need and we will consider providing a travel stipend. EMC weeks are available if desired for Performance and Stage Management interns. No housing provided. Interns are responsible for their own transportation to the pick-up site. See production calendar for all rehearsal and performance dates for Hamlet (not applicable to Education interns).