2018 Internship Application
Join the 2018 SF Shakes Intern Company!
Are you a high school or college student ages 15-22, looking to launch your professional theatre career AND serve your community? SF Shakes is looking for motivated, professionally-oriented young people to join our summer intern company.
Applications for Performance and Literary interns are no longer being accepted. We still have openings for the following:
Stage Management Interns: 2-4 interns
- Assist the Equity Stage Manager and ASM during rehearsals and backstage during performances.
- Responsibilities include taking blocking notes, being on book during rehearsals, standing in for missing actors, setting props, set-up and tear-down before and after every performance, assisting with cues and backstage business, and assisting with load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations.
- Mentored by the Equity Stage Manager and non-Equity ASM
- Must be available for at least half of all rehearsals and performances (shared position)
Production Interns: 6-10 interns
- Responsibilities include assisting the Technical Director, Props Master, Wardrobe Supervisor, Master Electrician, and Sound Technician with tech rehearsals, set-up and tear-down before and after every performance, and load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations.
- Mentored by the supervisors listed above, as well as designers.
- Must be available for training in June, tech rehearsals and at least half of all performances. Some exceptions can be made – please let us know your conflicts.
Education Interns: 10+ interns
- Assist at Bay Area Shakespeare Camps for 2-week sessions, June 5-August 18. Camps take place all over the Bay Area.
- Teaching experience not necessary but preferred.
- Mentored by members of the Resident Artist Company and Education staff.
- Must be available to be onsite for at least one full 2-week camp session, training in early June.
- Opportunities for promotions to paid Teaching Artists may be available for experienced, college-aged interns.
Education Program Administration Intern: 1-2 intern(s)
- Assist Education Director Tom Wells and Education staff at the San Francisco offices from May-August.
- Requires strong interest in supporting youth theatre education. Must be familiar with Shakespeare’s works.
- Mentored by members of the Education staff, Resident Artist Company and especially the Education Director.
- Must be available for at least six weeks from May-August and the training in June.
Hospitality Interns: 4-8 interns
- Audience interaction and engagement, including survey administration, customer service (setting up chairs, handing out programs, etc), and concessions.
- Set up and tear down of concessions area, assist in load-ins and strikes as the production moves to different locations.
- Must be available for at least 6 weekends of performances, as well as some office hours to be determined.
- Mentored by Hospitality Manager, Knowledge and Messaging Manager Will Crockett, and other SF Shakes staff. Will receive mentoring in arts management and audience research.
Interns are required to attend at least half of scheduled weekly Wednesday night workshops from June to September. All internships are unpaid at this time. EMC weeks are available if desired for Performance and Stage Management interns. No housing provided. Interns are responsible for their own transportation to the pick-up site (we run a shuttle to the performance site).