Midnight Shakespeare teams inner-city youth and professional
theater instructors to create a wonderful alternative learning
opportunity. Specifically targeting under-served neighborhoods,
students work in an ensemble atmosphere to strengthen verbal and
written communication skills while building an appreciation for technique, discipline and sacrifice
- all necessary ingredients for achievement. The Shakespeare Festival
partners with community organizations like the CivicCorps Schools,
the South Side Community Center of San Jose, and the San Francisco
Recreation and Parks Department.
Students in the 10-week program discover and examine the world
of Shakespeare, and perform an abridged Shakespeare play using
their own life experiences to create fully developed characters.
This approach stimulates imagination, engages intellect and builds
confidence. Past performances have included: Macbeth, The
Taming of the Shrew, A Comedy of Errors, A Midsummer
Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, The Tempest, Othello, Much Ado About Nothing, Romeo & Juliet, As You Like It, Richard III and The Taming of the SHrew..
If you or your organization would like more information about
Midnight Shakespeare, please call (415) 558-0888 or (800) 978-PLAY.
2015 Midnight Shakespeare
- Meets: Jan 13-Mar 26, 2015 / Tuesdays & Thurdsays 4:00 - 6:00 pm, Fridays 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
- Performance: a modern take on The Merchant of Venice
Performance date: Mar 26, 2015, Time & Location TBA
Teaching Artists: Steve Muterspaugh, Maryssa Wanlass
This is our seventeenteenth year of theater training
with the creative and hardworking young adults at Civicorps. Their
achievements continue to be a source of pride and inspiration!
~ Article about Midnight
Shakespeare at Civicorps
Civicorps performance photos:
- Macbeth (2011)
- Much Ado About Nothing (2012)
- Romeo and Juliet (2013)
- As You Like It (2014)
PARK MIDDLE SCHOOL
1 Spartan Way, Antioch
- Meets: Jan 20 - Apr 12, 2015
- Performances: Macbeth, The Comedy of Errors and The Tempest
Performance date: Apr 2, 2015 at 6:00 pm in the multi-purpose room
- Teaching Artists: Anne Kobori and Sarah David
We look forward to the performances staged by the talented students at Park Middle!
KIPP HEARTWOOD ACADEMY
1250 S King Rd, San Jose
- Meets: Feb 1 - Apr 29, 2015
- Performance: TBA
- Performance date and time: TBA
- Teaching Artists: Michael Truman Cavanaugh
We look forward to returaning to work with the talented students of Midnight Shakespeare at KIPP Heartwood!
Evergreen District, San Jose
- Met: Sept 8 - Nov 6, 2014
- Performances: As You Like It, directed by Michaela Stewart; The Comedy of Errors, directed by Anne Kobori; The Tempest directed by Celina Deitchman
Performance date: Nov 5, 2014 at 6:30 pm.
- Teaching Artist: Michael Cavanaugh
2014 marks our 14th season of collaboration with the skilled
and dedicated students at Cadwallader. We continue to be impressed
by the commitment of the students and families of the Evergreen
~ Article about Midnight
Shakespeare at Cadwallader Elementary
Bernal Heights, San Francisco
- Met: Aug 22-Dec 10. 2014
Performance date: Dec 10, 2014 at 5:30 pm, on the multi-purpose stage
- Teaching Artist:Lauren Spencer
We're pleased to return for our second year with the outstanding students at Revere!
- Photos of The Tami ng of the Shrew at Cadwallader
Support Midnight Shakespeare
Because Midnight Shakespeare is provided free of charge to the
participants, we depend on the financial support of the community
to pay for the program. Grants from the David and Lucile Packard
Foundation, The Louis R. Lurie Foundation, GATX Capital and Hitachi
Data Systems have enabled us to add additional teaching artists
and present additional sessions, resulting in an increase in both
the quantity of youth served and the quality of service provided.
Your donation today will: