McLaren Weekday Matinee
Fri, Sept 21 at 10 am
Let us know you're coming!
The performance is free and open to the public. Schools and groups are especially welcome.
Please email us at email@example.com with the size of your group or to make changes to the size of the group you are bringing.
Getting to McLaren Park
Free Shakespeare in the Park is performed at the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater in McLaren Park, off John F. Shelley Drive. The amphitheater is a short walk into the park and isn’t visible from the street or the parking lot.
The address for Jerry Garcia Amphitheater is:
51 John F. Shelley Drive
San Francisco, CA 93134
Get custom directions
Please note, parking in the area is extremely limited.
Some options include:
- the lot at 21 John F. Shelley Drive.
- street parking along John F. Shelley Drive.
(See purple areas on map below.)
As this is an urban park, be sure to keep valuables with you or out of sight if left in your vehicle.
Access and seating
Please plan to arrive by 9:30 to allow for a short walk from the parking area to the amphitheater.
When entering, one of our staff members will help you with seating.
10:00 -11:00 – A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Part One
11:00-11:15 – Intermission (Restrooms are to the left of the stage.)
11:15-12:20 – A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Part Two. Encourage students to eat lunch in their seats as needed.
The performance runs about two hours and 20 minutes, including intermission.
- The park is open all day long. Arrive early for best seating.
- Seating is first come, first served. Setting out placeholders like blankets, ground cover, coolers, or chairs is allowed. They may be removed if the items are unattended when the show begins.
- Aisles and walkways for actors will be marked. These spaces must be kept clear at all times.
- The amphitheater contains wooden bleachers for seating as well as a sloped lawn area.
- The show takes place in an outdoor amphitheater; dressing in layers that can be added or removed as needed is suggested.
- The amphitheater is not shaded; bring a hat and sunscreen if you wish.
What To Bring
- A performance at Jerry Garcia Amphitheater can be warm or cool or both as the day warms up! Check the weather report before heading out.
- To ensure visibility for all patrons, tents, umbrellas, tall or large tables, and shade structures are not permitted.
Restrooms are located to the left of the stage. The restrooms are ADA accessible.
Food and Drink
You are welcome to bring your own picnics. A concessions table with snacks, candy, soft drinks, coffee and tea is available.
Food within driving distance includes:
Trash, Compost & Recycling
Trash, compost and recycling containers are located throughout the park. Please dispose of your trash. Pack out what you pack in!
Lost & Found
- Lost and found items are stored at the Information Table and Concessions.
- After the performance, call the offices for San Francisco Shakespeare Festival at 415.558.0888.
- Please be aware of personal items. The Festival cannot assume responsibility for lost or stolen items.
For any medical concerns, please visit the Information Table and Concessions located near the stage. Staff members will be in Staff t-shirts and can offer assistance.
The safety and comfort of our patrons is very important. If you have a concern or witness unsafe activities, please speak with staff.
Information Table and Concessions
- For questions and general information about SF Shakes, stop by the Information Table near the stage. Our staff will be happy to assist you.
- A concessions table with snacks, candy, water, soft drinks, coffee, hot chocolate and tea is available. Cash and credit cards are accepted. All items are $2.
- A Hospitality Manager is always on-site and can assist with a variety of questions and concerns about your experience or other SF Shakes programs.
- A performance at Jerry Garcia Amphitheater can be warm. We recommend sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses. Check the weather report before heading out.
- The setting sun may be intense. We advise bringing sunglasses, visors, and hats.
In the event of an emergency, please follow instructions from the Hospitality Manager or any announcements from stage.
Services for Senior and Handicapped Patrons
A limited number of handicapped permit parking spaces are available in the parking lot off John F. Shelley Drive. However, they are a short distance from the amphitheater.
- While there is only limited designated ADA seating, we are happy to accommodate patrons to the best of our ability. If you get to the park and need assistance, please see the Hospitality Manager or a staff member.